Friends of Ohlone Park
June 27, 2018 7-8pm
Ohlone Park between McGee and Grant
(near the Community Garden)
– folding camp chairs
– light refreshments to share (if you wish)
– questions or issues you’d like to discuss
– Friends of Ohlone Park’s Coordinating Team will
present an update from on the previous year’s work
and current projects
– collect input on projects under consideration
– discussion of community concerns
– – – –
Please support FOOP’s activity by contributing a $5 annual membership fee
Friends of Ohlone Park is a nonprofit community organization under the fiscal
sponsorship of Berkeley Partners for Parks
For more information about Friends of Ohlone Park, please email email@example.com
• | • | •
– – – – –
(For minutes/updates please go to the News page)
– – – –
Agenda for FOOP meeting Saturday,
September 23rd – 11am
1624 Delaware Street
1. Permanent Restroom / Basketball Court Renovation
Background: The Director of Parks and Recreation, Scott Ferris, approached FOOP to ask whether neighbors would support a permanent restroom in the park. We convened a community meeting on 5/22/17 and followed it up with an online survey. These revealed a wide range of opinions and concerns, and that 73% of about 100 respondents preferred a permanent restroom to the existing portable toilets. In June the City approved T1 funding for a permanent restroom.
Current: If constructed, it would be done concurrently with the planned renovation of the basketball court, which is funded for 2019. Given the importance of this issue to our group, FOOP intends to be proactive in representing neighbors’ interests to the City early on and throughout the design process. We presented a proposal to the Park & Rec Commission for a series of community meetings to discuss this further.
Next Steps: Scott Ferris expects the City will be ready for a public meeting about this in January, 2018. The Coordinating Team of FOOP will present the results of the survey, meetings, and some possible options for a location for a restroom at the meeting on September 23rd.
2. Native plant garden at the Ohlone Mural (between Bonita & Milvia)
Steve Most is spearheading an effort to establish a native plant garden around the perimeter of the Ohlone mural on the utility building in the park between Bonita and Milvia. FOOP will pursue a grant from UC Berkeley for this project.
3. Bench in Memory of Martha Nicoloff
Councilmember Linda Maio has asked FOOP for feedback on the placement of a bench in the park in honor of this early leader in creating Ohlone Park. Please come and share suggestions for this.
4. Park clean-up and Social event in the park: Details to be announced.
5. Volunteer needed to represent FOOP at Berkeley Partners for Parks
FOOP is seeking a member to be our representative with Berkeley Partners for Parks, our fiscal umbrella organization. BPFP meets one evening per month, and this is a great way to learn about park plans around the City. Please consider volunteering for this easy yet vital position!
6. Old business (update on conditions at the Dog Park, etc.)
7. New Business (suggestions, concerns from the community)